Metrics allow users to define and save reusable analysis objects in Amplitude. They accelerate workflows and increase confidence for end users when building analyses. Metrics are shared project-wide, and can be created by any member, project manager, or admin. However, only project managers and admins can designate a metric as official.
To create and configure a metric for use in your Event Segmentation charts or your Data Tables, follow these steps:
- Navigate to where you'd add an event to your analysis. Then open the Metrics tab and click+ Define metric.
- Specify the metric type you’d like to create. Event Segmentation, Revenue, and Formula metrics are available for both chart types. An additional metric type, Funnels, is available for use in Data Tables.
NOTE: See our Help Center article on creating a custom formula in Amplitude Analytics to learn more about how custom formulas work.
- Add your desired event and property selections.
- Give the metric a unique name. You can also add a description to explain the metric to others on your team, as well as verify (or “officiate”) the metric if you desire.
NOTE: Only project managers and admins can verify metrics.
- Click Save when you’re finished creating the metric to add it to your analysis.
Once added, you can edit or remove the metric from your analysis. To do so for a Data Table, click in the metric header. For an Event Segmentation chart, click View Metric in the flyout panel to edit your metric. You can remove a metric from an Event Segmentation chart the same way you would a normal event.
To delete the metric from the project, click Edit metric, followed by Delete, within the metric drawer. Only project managers and admins can delete metrics they do not own.
For event total metrics in Data Tables, click on the settings gear next to the datepicker to toggle between absolute numbers, relative percentage of total, or both visualization options.