What You Will Learn in this Article
This article will cover how to create, save charts, and how to use save charts features that will make sharing and collaboration for charts easier between team members.
- Please keep in mind these features require an Enterprise, Growth, or Scholarship subscription: Collaboration, Create Dynamic Group Property, Monitors, Export as PNG etc.
Table of Contents
- Custom Legend Labels
- Collaboration (Enterprise)
- Add to
- Switching Projects/Chart Types
- Cache Times
- Saving Segments
- Video Walkthrough
Click “+New” on the left-hand navigation bar to create a new analysis. Next, select the type of chart you would like to create.
To review a high-level overview of the features for each chart, you can review Overview of Charts & Features or mouse over each chart to review a brief description.
Amplitude exists at the organization level, so you can access your data for multiple projects in one consolidated view. This org - project(s) structure allows you to have charts from different projects on one dashboard. Within any chart, you can select a project for your analysis:
You are also able to edit the legend labels on your chart. This is useful if you have applied multiple group bys to a chart and want to rename the legend label to make it more clear what each segment is referring to. For example, here is a chart with multiple group bys applied. You can edit the legend labels to make the chart more readable.
Note that the segment names breakdown data table below the chart will not change to reflect your custom names.
Once a chart is created, you can save it. When you click "Save" a dialogue box will open where you can enter a Name (required) and Description (optional), you can choose to make it Discoverable (enabling others in your organization to find this chart, and add it to one or more Team Spaces or Dashboards.
The description you provide in the Save dialogue box will appear under the Chart Title. You can update either the Chart Name or Description once you have saved the chart by clicking on them in the chart directly. This will automatically update any references from a Dashboard, Workspace or Notebook that link to this chart once you save the chart again.
Amplitude has a number of features that enable discussion around metrics discovered by your analysis. These features are useful when working in teams to deliberate findings.
To learn more about collaboration features, please check out the following help center articles:
After a chart is saved, more icons will appear in the top right corner of the chart. The first icon, "More," presents the following options:
- Unlisted: This option toggles on or off to enable this chart to be discoverable by other members in your organization. Note that Admins and Managers can find saved charts regardless if they are listed or unlisted.
- Set Monitor: This feature allows you to create a monitor to track the results of your chart if they change daily or weekly (see below for more information).
- Tour: Is a guided walk-through of chart features available within Segmentation and Funnel charts (see below for more information).
- Revert: Allows you to go back to the most recently saved version of this chart. You can also use your browser’s back button to undo the most recent edit to your chart.
- Archive: You should archive a chart when the chart becomes irrelevant to your analyses. Users can still search for archived charts in “Search”. Archiving a chart will disable all shared links associated with that chart. However, when the chart is un-archived, the shared links will be reactivated.
- Share with...: This option will send a notification email with a link to this chart to the users you select.
- Copy Chart Link: This option allows you to copy and send a link of the chart to users in organization.
- Modify Ownership: This allows you to change the owner of a chart. Once you transfer your ownership, you will no longer be able to make edits to the saved chart or object. Edits can only be made by the current owner. Admins and Managers can transfer ownership of charts that do not belong to them.
- Create Public Link: This option will create a public link so that this chart is viewable by anyone.
- Create Dynamic Group Property: This option is only available to Enterprise customers who have purchased the Accounts add-on. This option allows you to create a dynamic group property out of the metric you are analyzing in the current chart.
Note: This feature is only available to Enterprise customers who have purchased the Insights add-on and is currently supported on Event Segmentation and Funnel Analysis charts only for daily intervals.
The Set Monitor feature allows you to set up monitoring on KPIs and metrics that matter to you. You can click on the "Set Monitor" option under the More drop-down. For more information, see our Insights add-on documentation here.
The "Tour" icon allows users to go through interactive walkthroughs of our charts. Each tutorial will walk through a different flow in a particular chart.
The "Add" button allows you to add your chart to a new or existing Dashboard, Notebook or Team Space or create a new one.
The "Copy" icon duplicates the chart so that you can make changes without altering the original chart. You are also able to copy other users' charts in your organization. This will allow you to make edits to the chart without changing the original.
Note: Only the "Download as CSV" option is available to non-Enterprise customers.
"Export" gives you the option to share your chart as a PNG, PDF, CSV, or shared link. Shared link access can be granted and revoked in the Create shared link pop-up window.
To switch the project that you are viewing, click the project name in the title of the chart and select a different project. We will transform the chart to reflect the data of the newly selected project. The new chart will match the controls of the original chart as closely as possible and will drop any events or properties that the new project does not have instrumented. You can also switch the chart type you are viewing by clicking the chart type name and select a different chart type. You can choose to preserve the events and/or segments you have already added to your current chart.
You can zoom in on charts by dragging diagonally across the chart and creating a rectangle. This will zoom in on a certain section of the chart. You can reset the zoom by clicking the "Reset zoom" button.
Amplitude caches charts and requests. The cache time is dependent on the time interval (daily, weekly, monthly) and the numbers days from the present day. CSV downloads from charts will also be cached.
Below are the cache times for charts. Cache times for dashboards and CSV downloads are twice as long as the times listed below (e.g. 20 minutes, within last 7 days).
Real-time Queries Cache Time:
- 5 minutes, within the last 24 hours
Hourly Queries Cache Time:
- 5 minutes
Daily Queries Cache Time:
- 10 minutes, within last 7 days
- 60 minutes, within last 30 days
- 6 hours, greater than last 30 days
Weekly Queries Cache Time:
- 60 minutes, within last 4 weeks
- 6 hours, within last 12 weeks
- 24 hours, greater than last 12 weeks
Monthly Queries Cache Time:
- 6 hours, within last 3 months
- 24 hours, within last 6 months
- 48 hours, greater than last 6 months
To manually refresh a chart, click the "Refresh" icon in the top left corner.
In most Amplitude charts the upper right module can be used to select specific user properties or actions to segment events by.
One useful feature that can be used on multiple charts is the Saved Segments feature. Once a user segment has been created, there is an option to save the segments by clicking the “Saved Segment” button in the upper right corner:
A pop up window will appear to name the saved segment:
Note: Saved Segments do not update retroactively or automatically if you change and re save a segment you will have to reapply them to individual charts for the changes to be applied.