Sometimes, you may need to share your Amplitude analyses with people who are not in your organization, or who should not have full access to your data. You can create public links to charts, dashboards, and notebooks and send them to any person, even if they are not registered under your Amplitude organization.
Before you begin
- Remember, public links can be shared with anyone until you revoke the link. On the Enterprise plan, anyone with the password can access your links prior to their expiration. Be cautious of who you share the link with, and always revoke the link when necessary.
- Once you revoke a link, you will not be able to re-enable it. Users who click revoked links will be directed to a 404 page.
- Only Admins or the content owner can create a public link to that content. The owner must also have Admin, Manager, or Member-level user permissions.
- This feature is only available to users on the Scholarship, Growth, and Enterprise plans.
- Public links are not supported for Personas, Engagement Matrix, and Compass.
- Charts are cached for ten minutes for everyone.
Create a public link
To create a public link to a chart, dashboard, or notebook, follow these steps:
- Click Share, in the top right corner of the menu bar.
- In the modal that appears, click Manage Public Links, then Create new public link.
- Add a password, if desired, and enter the date the public link will expire. Then click Create Link.
Amplitude will randomly generate a link to the content. Click Copy Public Link to copy the URL to your clipboard.
Generate embed code for your content
Another way you can share your charts, notebooks, dashboards, and cohorts with external stakeholders is by embedding your analysis into a document created outside of Amplitude Analytics. Simply paste the Amplitude-generated embed code into a tool that accepts embeds, like WordPress, Confluence, or wikis. Your Amplitude content will then be visible to unauthenticated users, in much the same way as public links.
To generate this embed code, follow these steps:
- After saving your chart, dashboard, notebook, or cohort, click Share.
- In the Share modal, click the Embed tab and flip the toggle switch to On.
- Click Copy Embed Code. You can now paste the embed code from your clipboard.
- To revoke external permissions to view the content, simply flip the toggle switch to Off. The embed code will no longer work in any of the documents where it appears.
Copy, edit, or delete a public link
You can view and manage all your public links by navigating to Settings > Content Access, or by clicking Share > Manage public links from within the chart, dashboard, or notebook you want to manage (as described in steps 1 and 2 in the previous section).
Public links are not editable via the Manage Content Access page; however, you can remove them from there. Hover over the public link to bring up the Remove button. To edit the link's password or change its expiration date, click on the name of the chart to open it, then click Share to begin making those changes.
Set public link permissions
Admins on Enterprise plan accounts can control whether members are required to set a password and/or expiration date when creating a public link. When setting an expiration, you can control how long public links are allowed to exist before expiring.
Even if your account does not require passwords or expirations, you may set either when creating a public link. See Create a public link for details.
Passwords are not recoverable. If you forget your password, you can edit the link and choose a new one. If you choose to set an expiration date, any recipients will receive an error message when opening the link after your selected date. You can always edit your link and choose a new expiration date if you need to extend access.
Visual links and unfurling public links on Slack.
Read more about the Amplitude Slack integration here.