Welcome to Amplitude! Instrumenting Amplitude correctly is critical to getting the most out of the platform. It's also a complex, occasionally intimidating subject. This article offers a brief, video-based overview of what's involved in the instrumentation process. We hope it helps you get started you on your product analytics journey.
Identify your user flows and set KPIs to track
This video describes the Amplitude onboarding process and explains how you can:
- Identify key user flows in your product
- Determine business goals and key KPIs to track with Amplitude
- Determine how best to send data to Amplitude and which integrations to use
Click here to view the deck used in the video.
This instrumentation training seminar video describes best practices for Amplitude instrumentation. You will learn:
- Methods of sending data to Amplitude
- The Amplitude schema
- How Amplitude identifies unique users
- Session tracking
- Instrumentation best practices
Clean instrumentation is the foundation to success with Amplitude, so it is important to understand how the platform handles your data.
See our For Developers: Getting Started Guide for the seminar content in written format.
A good event taxonomy is imperative in Amplitude. This video includes discussion of sample event taxonomies, as well as the types of events, event properties, and user properties you should be tracking according to your industry vertical.
For more data-tracking best practices, check out our Data Taxonomy Playbook.
Instrumentation phase resources
Once you've identified your key user flows, business goals, and core KPIs, and created your event taxonomy, your team is ready to instrument Amplitude. Here are some helpful resources for you during the implementation process:
- For Developers: Getting Started Guide
- SDKs: Links to all of Amplitude's SDK installation guides. Use Amplitude's SDKs to send data client-side to Amplitude.
- HTTP API: Used to send server-side data to Amplitude.
- Integrations: Links to the different integrations Amplitude supports.
- How to validate your event data in Amplitude
Here are some further resources to help you:
- Amplitude Blog: Contains useful articles on product analytics.
- Guide to trainings for new Amplitude users: New user trainings, instrumentation trainings, and deep dive sessions.
- Getting the Most Out of Amplitude: A product analytics workflow that lays the groundwork on some of the most important metrics and also demonstrates how specific charts are connected.