This bi-directional integration combines Amplitude's Analytics with Intercom’s tools for in-app messaging, push notifications, and email. With it, you can sync behavioral cohorts from Amplitude to Intercom, so that you can better engage your users based on how they’ve interacted with your product and their lifecycle timing. Take advantage of Amplitude’s powerful segmentation capabilities and personalize your campaigns, ensuring you're targeting the right users with the right messages along their journey.
Intercom makes it easy for you to personally communicate with your users through targeted content, behavior-driven email, in-app, and web messages. Learn more here.
Before you begin
You'll need both an Amplitude and an Intercom account, as well as access to Amplitude's Behavioral Cohorts feature (available to customers on paid plans).
The user IDs in Intercom and Amplitude must be the same for each user in order for this integration to work. If the Intercom user ID does not match Amplitude's user ID for the same user, Amplitude will interpret the user to be new. If there is no Intercom user ID at all, the events will be dropped.
This integration must be enabled on a per-project basis.
Ingest Intercom events into Amplitude
To set up the integration to send event data from Intercom to Amplitude, follow these steps:
- In Amplitude, navigate to Data Sources.
- Click I want to import data into Amplitude. Then click the Intercom tile.
- In the modal that appears, click Connect to Intercom.
- Log into your Intercom account via OAuth. Select the dedicated workspace and click Authorize access.
Intercom will automatically redirect you back to Amplitude, where you will see the Connect Intercom page.
You are now ready to send Intercom events to Amplitude. Once Amplitude receives events from your Intercom, there will be a notification on the Listen to Event tab.
- Click Finish. Intercom will show on the Data Sources page, with a status of "Connected.”
Sync Amplitude cohorts to Intercom
NOTE: Amplitude will begin to receive events from Intercom as soon as you've completed setting up the Intercom destination. These events will be dropped until you've set up the Intercom source, which means you will have to recapture them. This can only be done by resending them from Intercom.
- In Amplitude, navigate to Data Destinations and click the Intercom tile.
- Log into your Intercom account (via OAuth) to authenticate and select the account you want to sync the cohort to.
- Intercom will redirect you to the Amplitude dashboard. Select the identifiers you want to use for the cohort sync. Click Save when you're done.
- Next, navigate to the Cohort section in the Amplitude dashboard
- After finding or building the cohort you want to send to Intercom, click the Sync To dropdown and select the Intercom account you want to send your cohort to.
- Select a one-time or a scheduled sync. Scheduled syncs can occur hourly or daily.
NOTE: For scheduled cohort syncs, the initial sync will include the full cohort. All subsequent syncs will update the original cohort via additions and removals.
Once the setup is completed, events will automatically stream into Amplitude. Event names will be prefixed with "[Intercom]."
Amplitude currently supports the following Intercom events, also known as topics:
- All conversation topics
- Contact topics
- Contact tag topics
- User topics
- User tag topics
- All visitor topics
- Event topics
Disconnect the integration
To disconnect the Intercom integration, navigate to the link below to disconnect the integration from the Intercom side. You will need to swap in your Intercom account ID to do this.
That is the only way to stop the flow of events from Intercom to Amplitude, as that is controlled from the Intercom side of the integration.