This integration combines Amplitude's analytics with Salesforce Marketing Cloud. This will allow you to export Behavioral Cohorts from Amplitude to Salesforce Marketing Cloud so that you can better engage your users.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud provides marketing engagement automation that allows you to engage your users. Using this integration will enable your marketing and growth teams to use behavioral data to better target campaigns and increase user engagement.
What you will learn in this article
This article covers how to set up the integration between Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Amplitude.
The Salesforce Marketing Cloud / Amplitude integration is only available for Growth and Enterprise customers (allows on-demand sync only).
- Scheduled syncs are available to customers who have purchased Amplitude Recommend.
Anonymized UUID as identifiers in both Amplitude and Salesforce Marketing Cloud will work for this integration so you don't have to send email / PII to Amplitude.
Set up and use the integration
This process will require you to be logged into both Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Amplitude.
In Salesforce Marketing Cloud:
- Get your subdomain, client ID, and client secret from SFMC (see below)
- Specify the Amplitude user property you want to map to the Salesforce Marketing Cloud Email Address field.
- Click your profile name.
- Click Setup.
- Grab the client ID, client secret, and subdomain from the app you are interested in.
- Navigate to Sources & Destinations > Destinations.
- Select the Amplitude project where you'd like to set up the integration.
- Click "+Add Destination" and select Salesforce Marketing Cloud from the list.
- Enter the client ID, client secret, and subdomain you found in Salesforce.
NOTE: When entering the subdomain, be sure you paste the subdomain only, and not the entire URL. For example, if the URL is https://subdomain.domain.com, you should only type or paste "subdomain".
Syncing Cohorts to SFMC
To sync Amplitude Cohort to SFMC:
- Go to the cohort in Amplitude you would like to sync over to Salesforce
- Click on Sync to (select Salesforce Marketing Cloud)
- Select the API target to sync to from the dropdown and input the name of the custom field that you have setup (instructions below).
In SFMC, follow these steps:
- Create a new data extension and name it "Amplitude Engage."
- In this new data extension, create an attribute named "Contact Key" and configure it as the primary key. This primary key will be used to link the data extension to the attribute groups. This is also how Amplitude will identify users. The value of the attribute should be a unique identifier (e.g. email, user_id) that it is also present within Amplitude.
- Link "Amplitude Engage" to an existing attribute group or a newly created attribute group by linking the data extension to the contact through "Contact Key."
- For an existing attribute group, it will look like this:
- For a new attribute group, it will look like this:
- For each cohort in Amplitude you want to sync to SFMC, create a dedicated attribute in the "Amplitude Engage" data extension. Give it any name you want, as long as SFMC allows it. This attribute name is the value you should enter in Amplitude's Cohort Attribute Name field when you set up a sync.
- Example: cohort_campaign_march is an attribute created in SFMC and will be used in both Amplitude and SFMC to keep track of user’s cohort status.
- Amplitude UI
- SFMC UI
SFMC integration FAQ
Do I have to create a new data extension called "Amplitude Engage?" Can I name it something else instead?
Amplitude uses this specific name in the request to identify users during a sync. For that reason, it must be called "Amplitude Engage."
Do I have to create a new attribute group called "Amplitude Engage?"
Not necessarily. You can use an existing attribute group, but we recommend you create a new one and link the "Amplitude Engage" data extension to it. The name of the attribute group does not have to be "Amplitude Engage."
Do I have to create a new attribute in the data extension for each cohort I want to sync?
Yes, you will have to create the attribute before you set up each sync. This dedicated attribute is what Amplitude updates in SFMC to keep track of the users’ cohort status. Different cohorts should use different attributes. Without a predefined attribute in SFMC, the cohort sync will fail. Syncing to the same attribute across multiple cohorts will lead to inaccuracies.
Can I change the cohort attribute name after I’ve already synced?
No, once an attribute has been synced to, you won't be able to change it for that particular cohort. You can always copy the cohort and create a new attribute instead.
What’s the "Contact Key" in Amplitude and what is it used for?
"Contact Key" is the attribute that Amplitude passes over to SFMC as the user identifier. You can choose any property within Amplitude to act as this user identifier. However, this attribute must be named "Contact Key" in your "Amplitude Engage" data extension in SFMC. It also has to be mapped to Contact Key in the SFMC contact for syncs to succeed.
Can cohort information be synced to the existing contacts in SFMC?
Yes, as long as the existing contacts in SFMC share the same value for the "Contact Key" attribute as the Amplitude contact key.
Can Amplitude Recommend sync other user properties to SFMC?
Amplitude does not currently support this. Please let us know if you have a use case that requires this functionality.