This article will help you:
At some point, you've probably wanted to reuse an analysis you'd already created instead of building an identical version from scratch. Or perhaps you are releasing a new version of a mobile app, and you want to evaluate its performance based on the same set of reports you used to evaluate your last release.
In Amplitude Analytics, templates help teams efficiently recreate common analyses and share best practices with just a few clicks.
You can create templates from any saved dashboards and choose any events, properties, cohorts, dates, projects, or titles appearing in those charts to templatize. You and your teammates can create new dashboards from these templates.
Use this feature to standardize team reporting by turning best practices into templates. Save time when repeating common analyses and make it simpler for new team members to measure impact:
- Create a standard A/B test methodology so anyone can see and evaluate the results
- Establish a common set of analyses for new releases to measure performance and adoption
- Roll out regional dashboards for leadership and local teams with just a few clicks
- Replicate KPI measurements across accounts, platforms, and core features
Before you begin
- This feature is only available to users on Growth and Enterprise plans.
- Permissions function similarly to dashboard permissions.
- Use cases for templates and the bulk filter feature on Dashboards are different.
Create a template
Templates are created from dashboards. For detailed instructions, see the section on templatizing a dashboard in this Help Center article.
If you're new to Amplitude, you can take advantage of a set of pre-built starter templates. These dashboard templates come with pre-formatted charts, so you can quickly acclimatize yourself to analyses of common product questions. The four starter templates are:
- User Activity
- Conversion Analysis
- Feature Adoption
- Session Engagement
Use an existing template
Once you've templatized your dashboard, you'll be able to temporarily update the data in the charts your template contains:
To add more parameters, under Find & Replace, you'll have the option to update any properties, events, projects, or text parameters of your templated dashboard’s charts. This will not affect the values in the original charts.
After you've made changes, you can click Reset to Default to revert back to the original chart definitions, or Save onto Charts to push the updates you've made onto the original charts.
To share the template with a colleague, either click Share or copy the URL and send them that.
Common template use cases
Some common use cases for templates include:
- A/B testing: swap out user or event properties or cohorts with each new experiment’s variants
- Releases: swap out version, campaign, region, etc. to track performance or key metrics for new releases
- Usage or engagement dashboards: segment by feature/product, region, device, customer, channels, etc. to analyze metrics like engagement with critical events or specific funnels that are notable to a feature or company
- B2B or partner use cases: create different dashboards segmented by the customer account or partner
- Amplitude new user onboarding: companies often build templates for the above use cases to help onboard new Amplitude users at their company to their teams’ common analyses
Permissions for templates function the same way they do for dashboards:
- Admins can edit all templates.
- If a template includes charts from a project you do not have access to, you will not be able to view it.
- Templates can have multiple owners. Click Share to add an owner.
- All users will be able to create templates but only members and above can publish them to the gallery. As a viewer, you may still share a direct link to your template with others.