The Google Ads / Amplitude integration allows you to send audiences from Amplitude to Google Ads to create more personalized campaigns.
Before you begin
- The Google Ads / Amplitude integration is only available for Growth and Enterprise customers
- You should have an understanding of Amplitude Recommend and Behavioral Cohorts before setting up this integration.
- You will need a Google Ads Manager account.
- You should already have identified an Amplitude user property that matches what you’re using for your user ID field in Google Ads.
Set up the integration
1. Log in to your Google Ads Manager account.
2. In Amplitude, navigate to Sources & Destinations --> Destinations --> Cohort Destinations --> Google Ads.
NOTE: This integration must be enabled on a per-project basis.
3. Log into Google and grant Amplitude permission to manage your AdWords campaigns.
4. Set up the fields necessary for Amplitude to construct syncs to Google Ads. There are three possible match types in Google Ads, referred to as the upload key type:
- Contact Info: This key type matches on a user's email address (phone number, first name, last name, country, and zip code are also technically supported, but their use is not recommended).
NOTE: To avoid sending PII to Amplitude, hash any email addresses with SHA-256 before passing them. Google has some guidelines on the accepted format for emails before they're hashed.
In Google, this value should match the Email field.
- Mobile Advertising ID: This key type is matched on IDFA and AAID mobile device IDs. We do not recommend using Amplitude’s Device ID column since you will experience low matching rates due to Amplitude populating IDFV if it isn’t able to get AAID and IDFA, which you can read more about here.
You will also need to define an App ID if you choose this upload key type. App ID is a string that uniquely identifies a mobile application from which the data was collected. For iOS, the ID string is the 9 digit string that appears at the end of an App Store URL For Android, the ID string is the application's package name. You can define multiple for the same project so you can sync under different apps if needed, and you can select which one you would like to at the time of making the sync.
In Google, this value should match on the App ID or Device ID fields.
- CRM ID: This key type matches on advertiser generated and assigned User IDs which you will send into Amplitude. In Google, this value should match the User ID field.
NOTE: You must send at least one uniquely identifiable key (like email or device ID) to Amplitude in order for this integration to work.
Sync a cohort
To sync a cohort, follow these steps:
- After creating and saving your cohort, click Sync to... and select Google Ads from the drop-down list.
NOTE: If you have just added the integration and do not see Google Ads in the list, try refreshing your page and checking again.
- Select the customer account you would like to sync to. Make sure your ad blocker is off before you do this.
- If you specified Mobile Advertising ID as the upload key type of your integration in this project, you will also have to select an app ID from the drop-down, from the list that you created at integration setup time. If you would like to add another app ID, simply head back to the integration setup page and add more.
In Google Ads you should see the cohort in the audience manager. It may take Google 6 to 12 hours to populate the sync. Additionally, for privacy purposes, the user list size will show as zero until the list has at least 1000 members. After that, the size will be rounded to the two most significant digits.