In Amplitude, all your analyses will live within a larger project. Projects, in turn, are contained within organizations. For most companies, one organization will be enough to effectively manage their Amplitude projects. The number of projects you’ll need will depend on your company’s analytics practices and requirements, which is why there’s no limit on the number of projects you can create.
NOTE: You may want to take this course on administering Amplitude in our Academy.
Create an organization
Your Amplitude organization will store all your projects and users. If you’re the first person in your company to register for an Amplitude account, you will be asked to create an organization. We strongly recommend using your company’s name for that organization.
To create an organization, follow these steps:
- Navigate to > Create Organization.
- In the Create Organization modal, type in the name you want to give your Amplitude organization. As stated above, it should be the same as your company’s name.
- Next, enter the organization’s name in the Org URL field. This will create an Amplitude directory for your organization and is used to identify your organization when you log in.
- To make your organization discoverable for other team members to join automatically, check the box next to Anyone with your domain can join. You will not need to approve new members.
- Click Create to create your organization.
- Once Amplitude has finished creating your organization, navigate to Settings → Access & SSO Settings. Scroll down to the Org Discovery panel and specify whether your organization will be an open org (new users can join without an invitation or explicit approval), or whether it will be accessible to new users via invite only or through admin approval. The default setting is "invite only."
If you wish to change your organization name or URL, please send a request from our Support page (support.amplitude.com) with your org ID, new organization name, and new organization URL.
Approve and provision new users in your organization
New users joining an existing open org or who are accepting an invitation to join will receive immediate access. For organizations requiring admin approval, however, new users will be unable to access the org until approval is granted.
Org admins will receive email notifications whenever a new user joins the org. If your org requires admin approval, you can approve join requests by opening the email and clicking Review access request. Otherwise, you can assign permissions to the new user by clicking on the button in the email (either Assign Project Permissions or Go to Settings, depending on whether your org uses project-level permissions).
Create a project
Once you’ve got your organization set up and users added to it, you can begin adding projects. Each analysis you create will belong to a specific project. In Amplitude, a project is a way to subdivide your Amplitude organization into distinct territories—for example, you might want to create individual projects for different products, or for different areas or sections of your app. It’s a useful way to keep related analyses grouped together.
To create a new project, follow these steps:
- Navigate to > Projects.
Click Create Project.
- In the Create New Project modal, type in the project’s name and a description. Then click Next.
- Select the users you’d like to have access to the project, and specify their roles from the drop-down menus next to their names. Users will have to belong to the organization before you can add them to a project.
- Click Submit.
View and edit your project information
From the Projects page under Settings, click the name of the project you’d like to view or edit. This will open the General tab, where you’ll find the following information about your project:
Note: Only Admins and Managers can edit Project settings. All project information except for the API Key and Secret Key can be viewed by Viewers and Members.
- Project ID: This is the project’s unique Amplitude-generated ID.
- API Key: This is the project’s API key, used for calling Amplitude’s APIs. Only Admins and Managers can view the API Key.
- Secret Key: This is the project's secret key, which is also used for calling Amplitude’s APIs. Only Admins and Managers can view the Secret Key.
- Session Property: This identifies the value Amplitude is currently using for this project to group events for sessions-based charts. The default setting is Session ID, but you can choose to group sessions by an event or user property instead.
- Time Zone: This is the time zone displayed on charts for this project. You can edit this value by selecting a new time zone from the drop-down menu; Amplitude will shift the timestamps of this project’s events to match. The default time zone is UTC (Universal Time Coordinated). This setting will affect all Amplitude users and queries, which includes the Dashboard Rest API. It will not affect the HTTP API or your raw data, as event ingestion will continue to be in UTC.
- Weeks Starts On: Specifies the day each week begins.
- Quarter Start In: Specifies the month in which the current quarter begins.
- User Downloads: This is where you can enable or disable the download users feature in the Microscope, in the export cohorts feature, and the export breakdown tables.
- Event Types: Shows your project's current distinct count of event types sent to Amplitude.
- Event Properties: Shows your project's current distinct count of event properties sent to Amplitude.
- User Properties: Shows your project's current distinct count of user properties being sent to Amplitude.
- Events This Month: Shows the number of events your project has sent to Amplitude this month.
- Events Last Month: Shows the number of events your project sent to Amplitude last month.
If you've purchased the Scale add-on, you will also see "Raw Events This Month" and "Raw Events Last Month" listed.
You can add, remove, and edit annotations easily from the Annotations tab.
If you’ve purchased the Insights add-on, you can bulk manage your automatic and custom monitors from the Insights tab.
Delete a project
To delete a project, follow these steps:
- Navigate to > Projects.
- From the list, select the project you want to delete.
- Click Delete.