Before a user can gain access to any Amplitude projects, you will have to add them to your Amplitude organization. You should do this immediately after creating an organization. Additionally, you’ll probably need to add new team members on a case-by-case basis as your organization changes and grows.
User management is done from the Members page, which can be reached by clicking .
At the top of the page, you’ll find an overview of users for your organization: the number of total users, joined users, pending users, and users requesting access.
Invite new users
Only admins and managers can add or remove users.
To invite new users, follow these steps:
- From the Members page, click Invite New Users. The Invite New Users modal will appear.
- Type the new user’s email address into the text box. You can add more than one email address at a time. Press the Enter key after each email address you type.
- For each email you entered, select the appropriate team. Then click Next.
- If you are an Enterprise customer with Groups enabled, choose the group or groups this user will belong to from the Select Groups drop-down menu. The user will then inherit all the project permissions of those groups. Then click Next.
- Select the individual projects the user will have access to. For each project, choose the appropriate role from the drop-down menu on the right. If you’ve assigned the user to a group in the previous step, you cannot downgrade those permissions here. Then click Next.
- Specify the user’s default project, and select the appropriate team spaces for them. The default project sets the user's dropdown menus to that project when they first log into Amplitude. The team spaces will appear under Team Spaces in the left-hand rail when the user logs into Amplitude. Then click Next.
- Review your invitation. If it’s good to go, click Send.
Allow team members to request access
In addition to inviting users to the organization, you can also allow team members to request access. They’ll be able to request it from the login page, an action that will prompt admin approval.
To turn this setting on, navigate to Advanced Settings and switch the Allow Team Members to Request Access toggle to Enabled.
Change user roles and permissions
All current users will be visible in the Joined Users view, while Pending Users shows those who still have an outstanding invite. An admin or manager can adjust any user's organization role or permissions with the dropdown menu in the Role column. Enterprise customers with project-level permissions enabled will need to select the checkbox next to a user's name to manage their individual permissions.
Additionally, you can remove users from your organization by selecting the checkbox next to the user's name and clicking Remove in the menu.
NOTE: When you remove a user, all their content (charts, dashboards and cohorts) will be designated as unassigned. Admins can transfer ownership of unassigned content to other users.
Change Amplitude email address
At this time, user email address cannot be changed because it is a unique identifier for Amplitude user accounts. To work around this, you can follow these steps:
- Invite your new email address to your Amplitude organization.
- Create your new Amplitude account with your new email address.
- Log in with your existing email address and transfer ownership of all content to your new email address.
- Remove your old email address from your Amplitude org.
NOTE: Repeat the process for other users who also need to change their email address.
Transfer ownership of content from one user to another
When a user leaves the company or is otherwise no longer part of an Amplitude organization, any content they created will no longer have an owner. Depending on the nature of that content, situations like this can significantly hamper your company’s analytics work.
Admins can avoid this by using the bulk transfer ownership feature to designate another user as the owner of that orphaned content. Navigate to > Members > Bulk Transfer Ownership.
NOTE: This process cannot be reversed, so use it with care.
You can also transfer content when you’re removing a user. Simply check the box on the Remove Members? modal, and Amplitude will give you the option to transfer each removed user's content to another existing user.
Note that you can only transfer a user’s content before they are deleted from the organization. The user who receives the content must have logged into Amplitude at least once in the 30 days prior, and you may have to explicitly grant them the permissions they need to access the content you’ve given them.